Discovering Your Giftedness
A Step-By-Step Guide
(1) Show your pattern to those closest to you—your spouse and family, your parents, your boss, a coworker, a close friend, etc. What is their reaction? Do they confirm and validate your findings?
(2) Based on your pattern, write a description of your ideal job.
• What would you be working with?
• What natural abilities would you be using on a day-to-day basis?
• What would be the circumstances of the job?
• What would be your role?
• What would be the ideal way for your boss to manage you? Or do you even require a boss?
• What would be the satisfaction or "payoff" that you regularly receive from your work?
How does that ideal scenario compare to the situation you are currently in?
(3) Assuming your current situation is not a good fit for your pattern, what might be some ways to improve that fit?
How could you express your pattern outside of work—perhaps through a hobby, volunteer activity, or projects that you do at home?
(4) Keep your Giftedness Patterns page handy and use it to evaluate your experiences at work, in relationships, and in the other areas of your life.
• What experiences and environments seem to fit best with your giftedness?
• What experiences and environments prove most difficult or problematic for you? In thinking about those situations, see if your giftedness might be getting blocked, ignored, punished, or otherwise frustrated. What might be some strategies for changing what happens?
For Additional Help and Information
Would you like more help in applying your giftedness to the questions you're asking? Or would you like a more detailed assessment of your giftedness?